Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Music Review: Yellow Submarine

YellowSubmarineCD

While listening to a short band interview the other day where they talked about pyrotechnics and wanting MORE for each tour, I had to wonder why it’s so hard now to go to a “simple” rock concert and just … well, LISTEN to the music. How about getting rid of all that elaborate, expensive menagerie of stuff, lowering the price, and focusing on the music?

I guess I’m a tad old-fashioned. I go to concerts for the music. I like bands because of the music, not because of the looks and hype. I listen to words. I pay attention to intricacies.

So, when I find new music that takes me back to the days of concerts focusing on music, I can’t help but share it.

On September 9th, 1971, 38 years ago today, John Lennon released the “Imagine” LP. Even those who know next to nothing about Lennon or the Beatles know the title track. Imagine. The Seventies were very much about imagining. It was a creative, highly artsy time. I was only 5 when the album was released so to me the Seventies meant starting grade school and family birthday parties and little contact with the wider world. There was, however, music. Within music of the times, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we find the inner depths and attitudes of the times.

Now, in the form of an intriguing, enlightening new CD titled “Yellow Submarine” and produced by Marino De Silva, we have a nice recapture of the times and soul of the Sixties and early Seventies.

I have to say when I first heard about the CD, I was less than overwhelmed. I expected it to be all Beatles remakes and in general, I’d rather listen to the real thing than to a remake. There are exceptions.

Why did I order it, then? I’m big on research. I have to be for my job. So I researched the CD and found that not only do proceeds from the CD benefit Angels on Earth, De Silva’s foundation to help children with autism, but De Silva has also been an advocate for assisting the military and their families. That sold me. What can I say? As spouse of a retired soldier and Desert Storm veteran, I do have fondness for those who at least try to understand and care about what the military deals with, and especially those who try to do something to help. I’m also supportive of children’s charities. I didn’t order one. I ordered two.

The review: What can I say? I’m so impressed with this CD I’m thinking I should have bought more than two and used them for gifts. I still might. I’m a sucker for acoustic music, especially acoustic guitar, and for music that highlights individual instruments. With Yellow Submarine, there are lots of acoustic and highlighted instruments. I’m enamored with Steven Swinford’s Two Of Us acoustic guitar track and John Argent’s gorgeous piano version of Lady Madonna. The flute highlight in Jethro Tull’s Pavane is impossible to work through instead of stopping to listen (and I can work through most anything). The production of songs featuring greats Jimi Hendrix, Roger Daltrey, Eric Clapton, Dr. John, Mick Jagger, Ron Wood, Keith Richards, Carlos Santana, and Jimmy Page is so well done I can hear every sound in all its glory. It’s crisp and clear and about the music, not the hype. I was introduced to a few names I didn’t know and will now remember. Of course De Silva’s guitar work shines through and the title track by Duncan Faure featuring Marino De Silva is one of the exception remakes, a great cover.

Along with incredible music, there are clips of interviews with the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix.

I love this mix of music old and new, all in the same style and texture and technical excellence. There is no mush here. This is music by those who excel at music.

This is a must-have CD for anyone who enjoys 60s-70s sounds, as well as for anyone truly into the sound and skill of music at its best.

Find it here: YellowSubmarineCD.org  and add them at Myspace

Find info on Marino De Silva on his website.

~~~
Since I have an extra CD, I’m using it as a giveaway – a raffle for anyone who comments about this review. Leave your own review if you’ve heard it or just say hello! I’ll run it through the weekend to allow time and make the cutoff date Monday the 14th at noon Eastern. I’ll throw in a few things of my own, as well. ;-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

LORAINE--You do know your music. the seventies were hard years for me--our children were in Middle school and high school, I taught, attended the university to earn a Master's. It was an all work decade--a little rough.But no one could ignore the Beatles. "Imagine" caught everyone's attention, or I should say, the majority of the population. I think it's interesting now, with Michael Jackson's death, the discussion has evolved from "MJ had no equal--he was the King"--to, no the Beatles started it all,to Elvis is the King, after all. You know more than I do about this topic, but I'd wager those three will always be linked together, and no other person or group will ever stand beside them as equals. Celia

Mona Risk said...

Hi Loraine-- What a great post on Lennon. The seventies was a time of adjustment for me, going to school, moving several times, getting married and having babies, and struggling to make ends meet. And yet I remember there was music all the time in my little apartment and my first house.

LK Hunsaker said...

Celia, music is as objective as writing, but there is a certain quality in some work that's undeniable. MJ over the Beatles? No, but equal maybe. Different. Same as Elvis. All quality. I do think there are those who can stand up to the same quality but who may not be found or promoted as well. Promotion matters, also. Uniqueness matters.

I've read threads trying to decide the "best" rock guitarist. Most people think Clapton and Hendrix right off-hand, but then guitarists were saying there were some who were better but lesser known.

I think there is no thing as "best" in art. It's far too subjective.

LK Hunsaker said...

Oops, I meant subjective in my first line, not objective.

LK Hunsaker said...

Mona, it's interesting to compare people's different lifestyles at the same time, isn't it? While lots of young people were out partying and doing nothing much during the Seventies, others were so fully entrenched in responsibility they barely saw the rest of it.

Something to think about.

LK Hunsaker said...

A NOTE on the CD...

Due to illness leading to lack of promoting this on my part, I'm extending the CD drawing through the end of the month.