Back in 2007, I did one of those surveys going around, but not for myself – for my Rehearsal characters. While organizing my blog a couple of days ago, I found that I posted one and left the other two hanging. Fair is fair. Time to remedy that!
from the novel series Rehearsal by LK Hunsaker
as of March 1974:
1. WHERE IS ONE OF YOUR SCARS AND HOW DID YOU GET IT?
I have a few minor scars from cuts and so on, barely visible.
2. WHAT IS ON THE WALLS IN YOUR ROOM?
A couple of paintings done by a local artist and a print of Van Gogh’s Sunflowers.
3. IF YOU COULD BE AN ANIMAL, WHICH WOULD IT BE?
A horse, not a race horse or a show horse, but something more poised and practical.
4. WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO?
Rock, classical, some jazz and the pop artists Susie enjoys. Elvis is a favorite, and Skynyrd and Pilot, and too many others too list.
5. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME YOU WERE BORN?
Yes; mom calls at that time every birthday … just before noon.
6. WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING RIGHT NOW?
I can’t say.
7. WHO DO YOU MISS?
My brother. We lost him several years ago. I suppose I miss having a father who wanted to be a father more than he wanted other things. I’d love for Duncan to come visit, or move here. And I miss Susie when we both get too busy to see each other often, but it doesn’t happen a lot.
8. WHAT IS (ARE) YOUR MOST PRIZED POSSESSION(S)?
My guitar and bass. Not much other than that.
9. HOW TALL ARE YOU?
10. DO YOU GET CLAUSTROPHOBIC?
I haven’t yet, although I don’t like being crowded for too long. I enjoy space and quiet as I can get it.
11. DO YOU GET SCARED IN THE DARK?
12. THE LAST PERSON TO MAKE YOU CRY?
My father, I would guess, but it’s been many years when I was still a child.
14. WHAT KIND OF HAIR/EYE COLOR DO YOU LIKE ON THE OPPOSITE SEX?
Dark hair and blue eyes; it’s an incredible combination.
15. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE PROPOSED TO?
I don’t imagine I will be, but I do hope I can propose in a way that makes the occasion as right as it should be when the time comes.
16. COFFEE OR TEA?
Either, depending on the time and situation.
17. FAVORITE PIZZA TOPPING?
Pepperoni and black olives, with extra cheese. Most anything else is fine, also.
18. IF YOU COULD EAT ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Cheeseburger and fries. I haven’t had lunch yet.
20. DO YOU HAVE A CRUSH RIGHT NOW?
I wouldn’t call it a crush. I’m deeply interested in someone right now, and for several years.
21. WHAT WAS THE FIRST MEANINGFUL GIFT YOU EVER RECEIVED?
Susie and Jeremy bought guitar strings and picks for me after I complained to them about not having either. It was their fault I didn’t have either, since they played with one or the other when I ignored them too long, so I guess they felt guilty. I didn’t have the heart to complain the next time I needed to replace a string and didn’t have one.
22. WHAT WAS THE LAST ALBUM YOU BOUGHT?
Carly Simon, for Susie’s birthday. Before that, I think it was Wings.
23. NAME SOMETHING YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH.
I’m hoping to be able to balance a family with my music career and not neglect either too much. In the shorter term, I’m trying to get a good friend to come join the band in order to finally play together on stage, even little clubs like we’re playing now. I see us doing well together, since he pushes me to be better than I am without being egotistical about the talent he has.
24. FAVORITE CLOTHING?
Comfortable and presentable, whether it’s casual or more dressy. I’m fine with either.
26. DO YOU HAVE A PET?
No, I can’t have one in the apartment, but maybe eventually.
27. NAME SOMETHING YOU REGRET.
Not being able to say too many things I need to say.
28. WOULD YOU FALL IN LOVE KNOWING THE PERSON IS ALREADY TAKEN?
Not intentionally, and I wouldn’t act on it. How can you make yourself not fall in love with someone?
29. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TELL SOMEONE HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU?
I think showing them is more important; being there for them and supporting them and treating them with respect and kindness. Words are too easy to say without meaning. Actions, you mean, always.
30. SAY A NUMBER FROM ONE TO A HUNDRED:
31. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT NUMBER?
Two is a nicely balanced number, as well as flexible enough to double or divide and still be a good number.
32 WHAT IS THE NUMBER YOU CALL MOST OFTEN?
Mom’s, I suppose. She worries if she doesn’t hear from me often enough.
34. HAVE YOU BEEN OUT OF THE USA?
Only to Canada just inside Niagara Falls so far, but I hope to travel a fair amount eventually.
35. YOUR WEAKNESSES?
Holding things in. And not holding things in.
36. MET ANYONE FAMOUS?
I don’t think I have.
37. FIRST JOB?
I worked at a local grocery store as a stock boy during high school. Before that, I mowed grass and raked leaves for elderly neighbors now and then.
38. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO RELAX?
Other than music, I like to rifle through various magazines or read biographies. I used to play sports in school.
41. WHAT WERE YOU DOING BEFORE YOU FILLED THIS OUT?
Training for a new employee that I’m sure was a waste of time. I can’t see him staying long.
40. HAVE YOU EVER HAD SURGERY?
Not surgery, but stitches in my knee after hitting a cleat while sliding into home base.
42. WHAT DO YOU GET COMPLIMENTED ABOUT MOST?
Susie. Everyone I introduce her to is charmed by her and wonders why she bothers hanging around with me. I can never give them an answer as to why she does.
44. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY?
Just hanging out with friends is enough.
45. HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU WANT?
I’ve always thought either two or four would be nice, depending on what my future wife has in mind.
46. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
My middle name was my grandfather’s first name. I barely remember him, but Mom adored him.
49. WHAT KIND OF SHAMPOO DO YOU USE?
Anything that doesn’t smell fruity.
50. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
I’ve never thought about it.
51. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
Salami and ham.
52. ANY BAD HABITS?
Apparently, I’m overly critical. Is that a habit? I also can’t stand having drawers or doors open for no reason and will shut them in between someone going in and out of them if they take too long.
53. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
Probably not. I don’t tend to choose to hang around others who are like me.
56. DO LOOKS MATTER?
Of course. How you present yourself affects the way you look and if you don’t seem to respect yourself, I have trouble finding respect for you, either.
57. HOW DO YOU RELEASE ANGER?
I work out with weights if I can, or pace, and I try to avoid whomever or whatever made me angry until I cool down.
60. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD?
Building blocks, I suppose. Jeremy and I would create buildings and towns with them and talk about where we would live when we could choose.
61. HOW MANY BIRTHDAYS DO YOU KNOW OFF-HAND?
About nine or ten, I guess.
62. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE HALLOWEEN COSTUME OF ALL TIME?
It had to have been Susie and Jeremy as the Bobbsey Twins. They were adorable together.
63. BATHS OR SHOWERS?
64. MASHED POTATOES OR MACARONI AND CHEESE?
65. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A PARTNER?
Trust, respect, loyalty, laughter, an appreciation for music, and an openness to new experiences.
66. WHAT ARE YOUR NICKNAMES?
Duncan calls me Ev, but otherwise I don’t have any.
68. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW?
M*A*S*H, All in the Family.
70. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
Chocolate topped with pecans and caramel
71. HAVE YOU BEEN ARRESTED?
No, but I nearly was once. I wouldn’t have regretted it if I had been considering the guy had it coming.
73. PLANS FOR TONIGHT?
After work: a quick dinner, practice, and hopefully inviting Susie over to watch TV
74. WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU HAVE?
A brown Mercury Cougar
75. WHAT KIND WOULD YOU HAVE IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT?
I’m happy enough with the one I have for now.
76. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RECENTLY?
The radio, most often, since we have it on at work.
77. LAST THING YOU DRANK?
78. LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
Gerry last night, arranging another show at his club
79. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE IN THE OPPOSITE SEX?
Her eyes and the way she’s dressed. I don’t like girls who are too obvious or showy.
81. FAVORITE SMELL?
82. FAVORITE MONTH OF THE YEAR?
April when it’s warm enough to go without jackets and nature comes back to life. It feels full of promise.
85. WHAT IS YOUR HAIR COLOR?
86. EYE COLOR?
87. FAVORITE BOOK?
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to Europe is good. Otherwise, I mainly read non-fiction.
88. FAVORITE COLOR?
Blue or Green, depending on my mood.
89. FAVORITE RESTAURANT?
There’s a little German place in Boston I love to get to when I can, but it’s been a while.
90. DO YOU LIKE SUSHI?
Not any I’ve tried, which luckily hasn’t been much.
91. LAST THING YOU WATCHED?
Mike had a game on last night and I watched it off and on in between doing paperwork for the gym.
92. WHEN YOU HAVE GOOD NEWS, WHO IS THE FIRST PERSON YOU WANT TO TELL?
93. PLAY ANY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?
Guitar and bass. I started messing with the piano for a while but didn’t get the hang of it well, unlike Stu who can play anything he touches. Any musician has to be jealous of that.
94. REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT?
Republican, but I think both have their good and bad points. I guess I’m pretty well in between, but I’m registered as Republican.
95. KISSES OR HUGS?
Both, if they’re from the right person.
96. RELATIONSHIPS OR ONE NIGHT STANDS?
A relationship has so much more value and fulfillment. I don’t understand jumping from one girl to the next without much thought.
97. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU BOUGHT?
100. DESCRIBE YOUR LOVE LIFE.
Frustrating most of the time. But hopeful.
Find 100 Things About Duncan O’Neil HERE
For Permalinks to my character interviews, see Stories Behind the Books under the MY BOOKS header.