The final character interview based on the beginning of the Rehearsal Series. Find the other two under the BOOKS heading.
From the novel series Rehearsal by LK Hunsaker, as of March 1974
1. WHERE IS ONE OF YOUR SCARS AND HOW DID YOU GET IT?
I don’t have scars.
2. WHAT IS ON THE WALLS IN YOUR ROOM?
Lavender paint, a photo collage from my childhood days, a picture of Dad and me at the cabin from when I was a baby, my first pair of ballet slippers and toe shoes, and a print of one of Monet’s garden scenes with a pretty stone bridge over a stream.
3. IF YOU COULD BE AN ANIMAL, WHICH WOULD IT BE?
I think I would be a bird so I could travel when I wish and rest in treetops.
4. WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC DO YOU LISTEN TO?
A lot of kinds! I adore music and will listen to nearly anything. My favorites for listening are Elton John, Carly Simon, Helen Reddy, Jim Croce, and Badfinger. I like Mozart and Tchaikovsky and Gershwin for dancing, and sometimes harder music depending on my mood.
5. DO YOU KNOW WHAT TIME YOU WERE BORN?
7:03 am on July 11th 1954, nearly two months early
6. WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE THAN ANYTHING RIGHT NOW?
That’s a hard question. I guess to be recognized for who I really am instead of Evan and my dad continuing to treat me like a twelve-year-old. I’m nineteen and living on my own, mostly.
7. WHO DO YOU MISS?
My mom. I lost her when I was little. My sister. Jeremy. Family I should know and don’t. And Evan at the moment because we’ve both been very busy with our jobs recently and haven’t seen each other much.
8. WHAT IS (ARE) YOUR MOST PRIZED POSSESSION(S)?
A rare photo of me with both Mom and Dad, dishes that belonged to Mom, my first pair of ballet slippers and toe shoes, and a bunch of dried roses I keep hidden in my drawers.
9. HOW TALL ARE YOU?
10. DO YOU GET CLAUSTROPHOBIC?
Yes. I don’t like crowds or closed-in spaces.
11. DO YOU GET SCARED IN THE DARK?
Only during thunderstorms.
12. THE LAST PERSON TO MAKE YOU CRY?
Evan, but he doesn’t know.
14. WHAT KIND OF HAIR/EYE COLOR DO YOU LIKE ON THE OPPOSITE SEX?
I like dark hair, and eyes of any color that stand out, but it doesn’t matter much really.
15. HOW WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE PROPOSED TO?
How doesn’t matter, as long as it’s the right person proposing and I can tell it’s really important to him that I agree.
16. COFFEE OR TEA?
Mild tea, especially herb tea since I have to be careful about caffeine.
17. FAVORITE PIZZA TOPPING?
Ham and black olives
18. IF YOU COULD EAT ANYTHING RIGHT NOW, WHAT WOULD IT BE?
Italian anything with a good alfredo sauce
20. DO YOU HAVE A CRUSH RIGHT NOW?
A crush? No, it’s not a crush. There is someone I keep hoping will ask me out as more than just a friend.
21. WHAT WAS THE FIRST MEANINGFUL GIFT YOU EVER RECEIVED?
The yellow rose Evan gave me at the end of my first dance recital.
22. WHAT WAS THE LAST ALBUM YOU BOUGHT?
“Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” by Elton John
23. NAME SOMETHING YOU WANT TO ACCOMPLISH.
Someday, I want to own a dance studio. I also want to help Raucous move forward to where they should be and watch them play in a huge arena.
24. FAVORITE CLOTHING?
A long loose T-shirt and dance capris. They aren’t stylish, I guess, but they’re comfortable. I’m not into fashion.
26. DO YOU HAVE A PET?
No. I live in a small apartment and don’t want to have animals inside.
27. NAME SOMETHING YOU REGRET.
Sometimes I wish I hadn’t given up the chance to join a dance troupe, but I think it was for the best.
28. WOULD YOU FALL IN LOVE KNOWING THE PERSON IS ALREADY TAKEN?
I don’t think you can help who you fall in love with, only whether or not you act on it. I wouldn’t say anything if the guy was taken.
29. WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO TELL SOMEONE HOW MUCH THEY MEAN TO YOU?
I’m still trying to figure that one out!
30. SAY A NUMBER FROM ONE TO A HUNDRED:
31. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THAT NUMBER?
I think it’s the perfect family size.
32, WHAT IS THE NUMBER YOU CALL MOST OFTEN?
I don’t use the phone often. I suppose it would be the gym to let Evan know when I’m working late.
34. HAVE YOU BEEN OUT OF THE USA?
Not yet, but I hope to travel eventually.
35. YOUR WEAKNESSES?
Trusting the wrong people, being too dependent on my friends.
36. MET ANYONE FAMOUS?
No, but I think Raucous will be known widely if they stay together and keep working on it. They’re already local heroes since they’re the most requested band around here.
37. FIRST JOB?
Assistant dance teacher in Glenn Heights; I was fourteen. Even before, I was helping other classes but they couldn’t make it an official job until I was old enough.
38. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE WAY TO RELAX?
Sitting in the basement listening to Raucous practice with no one else around. I also love to read historical novels.
41. WHAT WERE YOU DOING BEFORE YOU FILLED THIS OUT?
Choreographing the second half of the dance for my six and seven year old ballet class.
40. HAVE YOU EVER HAD SURGERY?
No, and I hope not to have. Evan and Dad would be overbearing with worry.
42. WHAT DO YOU GET COMPLIMENTED ABOUT MOST?
Putting up with living in a building full of males! Just kidding. Actually, my choreography, I think.
44. WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY?
For Evan to ask me out … anywhere. Only the two of us.
45. HOW MANY KIDS DO YOU WANT?
Two, at least. More would be okay since I love kids, but Dad would prefer I adopt instead.
46. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
My middle name is Angela, after my mom, Angela Lynne.
49. WHAT KIND OF SHAMPOO DO YOU USE?
Whatever is cheapest. I splurge a little on conditioner because my hair is long.
50. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
51. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
52. ANY BAD HABITS?
Of course. If you ask the guys, I’m sure they’ll give you a long list. Stu complains that I’m a neat freak.
53. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
I suppose I would, although I seem to get along with men better than with other women.
56. DO LOOKS MATTER?
In almost everything, but it’s more how someone presents herself than actual looks that stand out, I think.
57. HOW DO YOU RELEASE ANGER?
I turn on fast music and dance, or go for a walk. I can yell when I need to, but I don’t often.
60. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TOY AS A CHILD?
I don’t remember. Jeremy and I played outside a lot and rode bikes together.
61. HOW MANY BIRTHDAYS DO YOU KNOW OFF-HAND?
Evan is Oct 13, Kate is May 22, Dad is April 13, Mom’s was Aug 19, Jeremy’s was Sep, Diane’s is March 3, Stu is Jan 30, Mike is Dec 16, Doug is Sep 7. I think that’s all I know, except Evan’s friend was I think born in June. I haven’t met him yet, but Evan’s trying to talk him into coming to visit. Oh, Janet and Nathan are both sometime in November.
62. WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE HALLOWEEN COSTUME OF ALL TIME?
One year Jeremy and I were the Bobbsey Twins, but no one knew who we were. Jeremy was really cute in his sailor outfit, though.
63. BATHS OR SHOWERS?
Showers; I don’t like to sit in water I’m washing in.
64. MASHED POTATOES OR MACARONI AND CHEESE?
65. WHAT DO YOU LOOK FOR IN A PARTNER?
Strength, and not only outer strength, but strength of character; intelligence; patience because Dad says I’ll have to have someone with a lot of patience and that’s probably true; kindness; motivation – he can’t be afraid of working hard; the ability and interest in being a good father; and he has to really appreciate music and be willing to dance with me at clubs, at least slow dances.
66. WHAT ARE YOUR NICKNAMES?
Most people call me Suse. Evan calls me Angel because of my middle name.
68. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW?
I don’t watch TV a lot since I’m usually working or watching band practice or reading, but I like Carol Burnett and Sonny and Cher, also MASH with Evan, and Mike Douglas.
70. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
I’d rather have rainbow sherbet than ice cream.
71. HAVE YOU BEEN ARRESTED?
73. PLANS FOR TONIGHT?
After work, I’m babysitting until around 8. Maybe I’ll go over to Evan’s afterwards to unwind.
74. WHAT KIND OF CAR DO YOU HAVE?
1971 Blue Ford Pinto
75. WHAT KIND WOULD YOU HAVE IF MONEY WAS NO OBJECT?
76. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RECENTLY?
Kate fussing about not having enough job opportunities in Lakewood.
77. LAST THING YOU DRANK?
Water while I was working on choreography
78. LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE?
Diane, because she couldn’t reach Evan.
79. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE IN THE OPPOSITE SEX?
Their build first because it’s the easiest thing to notice, and then the eyes, because you can tell a lot by looking at someone’s eyes.
81. FAVORITE SMELL?
Evan’s cologne when we’re dancing together.
82. FAVORITE MONTH OF THE YEAR?
April because everything starts to grow again.
85. WHAT IS YOUR HAIR COLOR?
Very dark brown, not quite as black as Dad’s.
86. EYE COLOR?
Blue, like Mom’s were.
87. FAVORITE BOOK?
One favorite? I guess “For Whom The Bell Tolls” by Ernest Hemingway
88. FAVORITE COLOR?
89. FAVORITE RESTAURANT?
90. DO YOU LIKE SUSHI?
I haven’t tried it and don’t think I’m interested.
91. LAST THING YOU WATCHED?
Parts of whatever drama Kate had on last night while I was getting dinner.
92. WHEN YOU HAVE GOOD NEWS, WHO IS THE FIRST PERSON YOU WANT TO TELL?
93. PLAY ANY MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS?
No, I started the guitar once but didn’t get far with it.
94. REPUBLICAN OR DEMOCRAT?
I’m not into politics and don’t understand it well enough to chose sides.
95. KISSES OR HUGS?
Both, if they’re from the right person.
96. RELATIONSHIPS OR ONE NIGHT STANDS?
97. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU BOUGHT?
100. DESCRIBE YOUR LOVE LIFE.
I don’t have one at the moment.