Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Walk In The Garden

"I try to live what I consider a poetic existence. That means I take responsibility for the air I breathe and the space I take up. I try to be immediate, to be totally present for all my work."
Maya Angelou



As any gardener knows, a simple walk in the garden is never simple. The beauty others see upon viewing the results of her work cannot compare to the thoughts of the gardener while walking along her flowers. She sees not only the hours of work already put in, but also the hours yet to come and the details she is not quite happy with that she wonders how to improve.

In a way, her garden is more beautiful to her than to anyone viewing it in passing. In another way, it can never be quite as beautiful as others see.

Other artists understand her. Painters visit an art gallery and see the work lying behind each piece. They listen to compliments of their own work and burke the thoughts of knowing what could have been done better. Dancers feel the pulling of muscles and strains and fatigue while watching other dancers while the audience sees only the grace and beauty.

Writing is the same. We hold our books in our hands and read reviews, thrilled to see when a reader 'gets' what we are trying to say behind the words, humbled at the request for a signature, and thankful for each sale. At the same time, we don't see only a pretty (or scary or mysterious) cover and many pages full of a story. We see hours upon end of writing and rewriting, editing and pondering, deleting and redoing; and we especially relive the questions that plague us through the whole process. Are we accomplishing the beauty that is in our minds well enough? Will we affect readers enough to make some difference in their worlds?

Our walks through our books are filled with these questions as well as with thoughts of what we want to do better the next time, what weeds we would like to pluck off the printed page to replace with a rose or sunflower or carnation.

In the meantime, we focus on marketing, on finding readers who may enjoy our stories and our characters.

Much of my winter has been spent focusing on marketing. My website now offers a press kit for bookstores, a special offer for reading groups, and a brand new newsletter to offer information on happenings with my writing and in the indie arts. I'm quite glad to announce a new arts feature, as well: An Interview With A Musician. You'll find the first, a chat with Johnny Roxx,renowned guitarist, posted on the indie arts page.

I would also like to publicly say thank you to the two fans who are running Myspace pages for my three main characters from Rehearsal. Liz and Jan, I can't thank you enough for your support and assistance.

You'll find the first three chapters of A Different Drummer in the characters' blogs, one in each blog, beginning here: http://www.myspace.com/duncan_rehearsal
The prologue can be found on my site: http://www.lkhunsaker.com/DifferentDrummer/excerpt.htm

Spring has arrived, and with it, I am not only back to working in my flower garden, but also obsessive about furthering the second book of Rehearsal, entitled The Highest Aim. Does anyone know from which quote the title comes or the author of it?

Also with spring comes spring cleaning. As I'll be changing residences soon, I have been clearing out things I don't want to have to unpack and store in the new house. The fewer things to move the better, in most cases. So I am also going to start offering a "moving sale" on the copies of A Different Drummer I have in stock. I hope to publish The Highest Aim this fall and would like to make room to stock that one next.

Watch either Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/lkhunsaker) or my newsletter (http://www.lkhunsaker.com/newsletter) for details.

Wishing you all a poetic existence,
LK Hunsaker

No comments: